Monday, April 28, 2008

A week of training at Oracle University !


To learn new things and keep your skills up-to date, it is worthy once in a while to attend trainings.

And, it is even more recommended if you are working as a software engineer. I will even say, it is vital.


Since 2001, I have been working on the ERP Oracle Applications. At that time, I started
to work on the release 11.5.5. Nowadays, I am working on the release 11.5.10.
However, in February 2007, Oracle Corporation released Oracle Applications Release 12. And we all know that little by little, the previous releases will not be supported any more. So, I asked my company to follow the one-week training on "R12 Oracle General Ledger Management Fundamentals" since I am specialized in finance.

Oracle Corporation has its world headquarters on the San Francisco Peninsula in Redwood City. From San Jose, the daily commute was not easy but it was only for 5 days, from 28th April to the 2nd May.
The program to cover in one week was rather dense:
- Oracle General Ledger Process
- Accounting Setup Manager
- Ledger
- Basic and advanced Journal Entries
- Summary Accounts
- Advanced Security
- Financial Budgeting
- Multi-Currency
- Consolidations
- Period Close
- Financial Reporting

R12 introduces new features/concepts as
Sub-Ledgers Accounting, Primary and Secondary Ledgers, Target Period etc... Also, half of the Forms are gone to HTML
The disappointed part was that "
How to implement R12?" and the "Subledger Accounting" are in a separate class.
For a complete coverage, you also have:
R12 Oracle Subledger Accounting Fundamentals (2 days) and R12 Oracle Financials Functional Migration Fundamentals (5 days).
I enjoyed this week on the Oracle
Campus and it definitively changed me from my daily grind. I met people doing the same job as mine, and I learned new things on the last version of Oracle Applications!

1 comment:

Amitabh said...

Hi Servane
My Wife is a certified CPA and wants to enter into the oracle financial sector . Do you know of any good training institutes that teach oracle financials . She is not from software pure finance but I have heard there are analyst positions that require financial background . Any idea how to start entering this field ? Thx Amitabh